Thursday, February 27, 2014

I'm a Runner XXXV

Susan Tirch
Former World Champion Pharmacist, SAHM 
39, Mars, Pennsylvania 



Before I got serious about my health and fitness and running (read before kids), I would work out 4 days in a row and then take 3 month break.  I really thought that was normal.  It's hard to be motivated when you're 118 pounds, but skinny does not equal fit and I'm happier now heavier and healthier.

In a race, I realized just recently that I rarely pay any attention to the people around me.  I thought about The Austin Half Marathon this year and I barely remember anyone around me.  I was so focused on what I was doing, I didn't even have time to look around.  Except for the guy who spit right in front of me.  Seriously who does that?  I would like to have tripped him, but I couldn't pick up my pace quickly enough to make a smooth getaway.

I've run with my dad quite a bit considering we live almost 400 miles apart.  It always amazes me that my dad is 30 years older than I am and still kicking ass.  30 years.  Wrap your head around that.

Running strengthens your legs right?  I run a lot right?  Why oh why are my legs still so flabby?  It couldn't possibly have anything to do with my love of carbs and salty snacks.  Could it be?  Ok, just keep running, just keep running.

I never worked out during my pregnancies.  I don't have many (any really) regrets in life, but I really wish I could go back in time and have FIT/ACTIVE pregnancies.  I wonder how it would have changed things.  I had horrible pregnancies with Ella and Jack (extremely uncomfortable) and I wonder if that would have changed.  At least I was blessed with easy labor.

My kids are absorbing what I do.  I want nothing more than to instill fitness into my kids' lives.  I want my kids to know that exercise should be party of their daily life to keep them HEALTHY (and happy).

Running is almost a 4 letter word in my vocabulary, yet I still do it.  I'm going to keep doing it until I'm good at it.  We could be here awhile.

On my first "I'm a Runner" post ever I had only done 3 half marathons.  I'm about ready to run my 14th and that amazes me.  I have such fond memories of all my half marathons.  It's my favorite distance.

I'm used to running with friends now.  It's probably a crutch, but I really enjoy my running friends.  In fact, if I really think about it, I think all my friends are runners.  Ha!

I love that running is a community.  Runners get other runners and there's an unspoken bond between us.  At least that's the way I see it.  When I see someone out running and I'm riding in the car, I silently think about what's going through their minds as they plug along.  They're all heroes in my scenarios.

Every time I see someone running who is trying to lose weight, I go into cheerleader mode in my mind.  I've read where heavier people have gotten snide remarks thrown at them while running and can't imagine anyone ever thinking that way.  I'm always like, you go girl.  Mean people suck!


3 comments:

MELISSA CUNNINGHAM said...

love it!!!!
I too agree that runners are a different kind of people, where the comradeship of the sport is just amazing!

Shaun Byrne said...

Family is how I describe runners... We have an unspoken bond and we always want to help each other out

Kristy @ PghRunner.com said...

Runners are awesome!


I agree though, my legs are flabby as hell from behind, but it's not from being lazy, that's for sure, I blame our genes.


Good luck with #14!

Post a Comment