Sunday, February 2, 2014

Pittsburgh Marathon Training Long Run: 10 Miles AGAIN

As I started to stir this morning, I heard the pounding of raindrops on the rooftop and I closed my eyes tightly and prayed it was a dream.  Alas, it was not!  I swear I wanted to crawl back under the covers and go back to sleep.  I rather run in -2 degrees than run in rain.  True story. 

I had no idea what to wear.  It was 35 degrees so I didn't want to be too hot, but I knew the rain would make it cold, so I didn't want to freeze either.  I decided on a "cold gear" base layer and my water proof lightweight jacket.  It was actually perfect, I was the right temp the whole time.  

Getting started I was pissed off.  Pissed that so far this training season we have been dealt such craptastic weather.  Then I realized, what doesn't kill me makes me stronger.  The worse conditions I run in now, the easier the marathon will be.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

This morning I met, Tracey, Charlene, Kristy and Tiffany.  

Tracey, Me, Charlene, Kristy, Tiffany 

Tiffany and Tracey quickly took off at a faster pace and the rest of us hung behind.  We ran a pretty quick pace to start, faster than I really wanted to be running honestly (but it still wasn't that quick really).  

Mile 1:  10:28  
Mile 2:  10:14
Mile 3:  10:38
Mile 4:  10:42 --> big ass hill  
Mile 5:  10:17

The first loop (the first 5 miles) was painful. I'm not gonna lie.  My legs (as per usual) were hurting from CrossFit.  Everything felt stiff and so tight.  That coupled with not wanting to be running in the rain made for a painful first loop.  

After the first loop, Tiffany took off and it was just the four of us.  Kristy and Charlene settled in just ahead and Tracey hung back with me.  


The second loop was SOOOOO much better than the first.  My legs finally woke up and realized they were supposed to be running, we ran the loop in the opposite direction (change) and Tracey and I were chatting away.  

I really wanted to be done around mile 8.5, but somehow I managed to muster the energy and finish strong (for me). 

Mile 6:  11:02 
Mile 7:  10:42 --> big ass hill the other way 
Mile 8:  10:22
Mile 9:  10:42
Mile 10:  10:08

Total: 1:45:22
Average: 10:31 


Who knows what next week will hold and what weather we will be faced with, but I know I can get through it with all my lovely running ladies by my side.  


12 miles next week and then the Austin Half Marathon.  I got this!




0 comments:

Post a Comment