Saturday, March 15, 2014

CrossFit Open 14.3

OMG y'all what a difference a week makes in the open.  Some days it's your day, some days it's not and I do believe that is a valuable lesson to learn in the open.  Well I've learned it.  Let's go back and take a look at things shall we?

14.3 (get it?) 

I'm always scared heading into the open, especially on Thursday nights before the announcement, but this week I was doubly scared because I have been really sick all week.  Yes I realize I was just sick (last month coming back from Austin) but I got another cold/never got rid of the old one????  I'd been having an annoying cough for over a week, but on Monday I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck, I laid on the couch all day.  Tuesday and Wednesday were barely better and I hadn't gotten in a single run or workout all week.  Thursday I decided enough was enough.  I had been sick for the majority of time since February 19th and I was heading into 14.3.  Something had to be done.  I went to the doctor and found out I have a sinus infection.  I explained to him my situation about the open and my long run this weekend.  He asked me if I could try not to workout until Monday.  I gave him the side eye. 

Friday I woke up feeling a tad bit better.  Jack and I went to Panera for lunch in hopes of fueling my body with a healthy choice from the Official Training Menu.  I have to say, it was a little tricky selecting a meal on a Friday during lent at Panera.  There really aren't many choices (especially if you don't like tuna-- but I do).  Anyway, I wound up with the U Pick 2 tuna sandwich and the Chicken Tortellini Alfredo (sans chicken).  


I admit this meal wasn't as filling as I would have liked, but it was still delicious.  I just need more ruffage or protein to keep this big belly full.  It was a 650 calorie meal.  Maybe it was mental.  I don't know, either way it was still tasty and that's all I really care about.  Don't think I didn't want that cookie either, but Jack wouldn't share.  Cookie as big as your face?  Yes please!  


That was a long intro, but at least you know the backstory into 14.3 and I may just have to recreate it because OMG you guys I am so happy.  

So here's 14.3: AMRAP (as many reps as possible) in 8 minutes 


10 Deadlifts @ 95 lbs 
15 box jumps (20 inch box) 
15 Deadlifts @ 135 lbs 
15 box jumps (20 inch box) 
20 Deadlifts @ 155 lbs
15 box jumps (20 inch box) 
25 Deadlifts @ 185 lbs 
15 box jumps (20 inch box) 
30 Deadlifts @ 205 lbs 
15 box jumps (20 inch box) 
35 Deadlifts @ 225 lbs 

My max deadlift coming into this WOD was 155 lbs.  I haven't done max deadlifts in a long time, but yeah my 1 rep max was 155 lbs.  That means I did 155 lbs one time in my life.  I had to do it 20 to move on and then it was just crazy weight from there on out.  My goal was to make it through the first 2 full rounds and score a 55.  If I did get to the 155 lb mark, I hoped I'd be able to do 155 lbs a few times.  

I was so, so nervous at the beginning (as per usual). 

This is what nervous/anxious looks like i.e. NOT pretty.  Ha! 

I had watched 3 other heats go and had gotten some good ideas about strategy from the coaches, so by the time my heat started I was nervous, but ready.  

I had decided to go unbroken on the DL (deadlifts) as long as possible.  That means I planned to not break between reps as long as I could.  The countdown was on and I went to town on the 95 lb deadlifts.  It didn't take me long at all and I don't know if it was adrenaline or what, but it felt so easy.  

Before I knew it, I was on the first set of box jumps.  Box jumps are normally lung burners for me.  They really get the cardio going and in this workout it was meant to be your recovery. NOT!  


Nevertheless I feel like I got through them ok.  It was a little slower than I would have liked on the first set, but I did it and was back at the bar.  

I'm not really sure, but I think I went unbroken on 135 lbs too.  I swear I was having an out of body experience, because I don't remember a whole lot about this 8 minutes.  I just  busted out 15 reps as quickly as possible and was back to the box jumps.  

By this time I'm sure my heart rate was through the roof and I really wanted to use the box jumps to get my heart rate under control.  Everyone was yelling at me to push and recover as I added my weights for the deadlifts.  So I pushed and it wasn't easy (as my face shows). 

This is my "I might be dying" face 

Now on to 155 lbs and I knew it wasn't going to be easy.  I knew I would NOT go unbroken on this round.  I remember talking strategy with my coaches and remember them saying do 5, then 3, then 2 if need be.  My goal was to try to get 5 and go from there. 

I don't even know what my face is doing 

I'm really fuzzy about the details, but I'm pretty sure I got at least 5 before I dropped the bar.  I may have gotten just 3.  From then on out I would not allow myself to do less than 2 before I dropped the bar.  I'm not sure how I did it, but I finished 20 155 pounds deadlifts!!!!  I had about 2 minutes left to finish up as much as I could.  

My goal was to get through the box jumps and do it quickly.  I went all out as fast as I possibly could (which probably wasn't that fast, but it felt fast to me).  

I literally got to the bar on my knees to put the weight on.  My heart and lungs were on fire.  By this time, I had to lift 185 lbs.  I seriously did not know if I could do it.  There's not knowing and then really not knowing.  I'm all about having confidence and believing in yourself, but you also have to know your limits and I was afraid I had met my limit.  

I told my judge I didn't know if I could do it and she told me to just try.  I told myself, "Just try.  Just get one."  So I set myself up and I tried.  

Sticking your tongue out apparently helps 

The first time I pulled, I couldn't do it.  By this time the box owner, Tammy came over and was standing right in front of me.  Tammy knows each of her athletes.  She knows what each person is capable of.  She knew what I was attempting wasn't easy for me.  She told me to get my chest up and do it.  So I did!!! 

I think this is actually a shot from 155lbs 

I stood up with it quite easily actually, but in order for the rep to count, you have to lock out your legs and put your shoulders back.  I swear I fought for 10 seconds to get my shoulders back and have the rep count.  As soon as my judge gave me the nod, everyone started screaming and I was so flipping happy.  I was done… or so I thought. 

I had some time left and everyone started screaming at me to go again and so I did.  Again, I was able to get it up rather easily (I didn't say anything about form), but getting in that final position for the rep to count took every ounce of my strength.  I really thought I was going to drop it, but I fought so hard for that rep and I did it…. just as time ran out.  Literally the clock turned to 8:00.  Tammy gave me the biggest hug and I had tears well up in my eyes.  It was an absolutely amazing feeling.  

THIS is why I chose to do the open.  I will not soon forget how it feels to give it your all.  I mean it… I gave every ounce of my heart and every ounce of my strength to this workout.  I scored a 92 and I could not be happier.  It feels phenomenal!  

Thank you to all the amazing people at CrossFit TPA.  To Megan, my judge, I could NOT have done this without you.  You are amazing.  To Tammy, your hug meant more to me than you could know.  I felt like you were a proud mama and who doesn't want to make their CrossFit mama happy.  To my constant rock in all aspects of my training-- Tracey.  What can I say?  I love you girl!!!!  To all the other athletes there cheering me on, it meant a lot to me to hear your screams.  I did hear them even if I didn't know who it was or where it was coming from.  

2 comments:

MELISSA CUNNINGHAM said...

you made me squeal out loud as I was reading this!!!!!!!
so excited for you!!!!!!!
way to get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(you make me want to do crossfit btw!)

Tyly Shab said...

What an awesome recap!!! Way to kill it!!

Post a Comment