Tuesday, April 8, 2014

CrossFit Open Reflections

Now that the CrossFit Open has ended, I just wanted to jot down a few thoughts about the whole thing.  You can read about how I felt BEFORE the Open here.  

Ok so when word of the open started buzzing around the box, I had NO INTENTION on signing up.  Honestly, I didn't.  I'll admit, however, that I was jealous of those signing up.  Jealous of their abilities and their courage to try something that seemed so far out of my reach.  

I talked to Tammy (my coach) about the Open on Facebook one night and told her my plan was to work really hard all year and sign up for the Open next year.  Tammy's response?  "Why wait?"  So I thought to myself,  "why wait" and I signed up.  Now maybe Tammy was just blowing smoke up my ass, but my feeling was if she told me to sign up then I should sign up.  After all, Tammy knows best!  If she believed in me… well… 

Before the Open I was so nervous.  I was sick to my stomach over what would come and what I couldn't do.  Little did I know.  

The first WOD came and it was the dreaded Double Under.  I couldn't do them when the Open started, but I practiced and I got them.  Not in a row, but I was able to do single, single, double and bust out enough to put up a score that wasn't too embarrassing (for me).   I COULD!  


I also managed to snatch 55 pounds several times-- a weight I had never even attempted prior to the Open.  I COULD!  

Then came 14.2 and the OHS (Over Head Squat).  Seriously?  Another thing I couldn't do.  Well I can do OHS, but the most I had done before the open was 45 pounds.  This WOD called for 65 pounds.  That might as well have been a Mack truck.  

I went and gave that WOD everything I had and I may have ended with only 3 OHS but, I got on the board.  I COULD!  


14.3 was my favorite WOD of the Open.  Box Jumps and Deadlifts.  Easy enough right?  


Yeah did I mention that the deadlifts were on an increasing ladder?  Yeah they were.  My 1 RM (rep max) before the open was 155.  That means I was able to lift 155 pounds one time.  


During this WOD I lifted 155 pounds 20 times AND managed 185 pounds 2 times.  A PR (personal record) IN A WOD!!! I COULD! 


14.4:  Rowing, T2B (Toes to Bar), Wall Balls, Cleans, Muscle Ups.  Ugh.  T2B-- another arch enemy. Before the Open the number of reps I was able to complete for T2B was ZERO!  Yep, zero!

At least I could row.


And you know what?  I got 5 T2B.  


I may not have made it to the other exercises, but I did another thing I couldn't do previously.  I did FIVE T2B.  I COULD!


Then there was the gnarliest, dirtiest workout I have every done in my whole entire life.  I took more strength and determination to complete than ANYTHING else I have ever done.  84 thrusters and 84 burpees.  65 pounds up over my head 84 times almost killed me.  To say it was grueling would be a massive understatement.  It took me forever, but I finished!  I did not F#$%ing quit! I COULD!!  


So while the reflections of the Open are many and I could go on for paragraphs with my thoughts, there's really ONE thing that I learned that far surpasses anything else.  That is-- all along I was so focused on what I couldn't do that I never even occurred to me to realize all the thing I COULD!!!


4 comments:

Axel Kussmann said...

On the plus side, your fearlessness inspired me to try a Crow pose today (I didn't think I could but I got both feet off the floor)! Still, I think I just read that you broke a new record or did something you couldn't for 5 days in a row, which sounds like a recipe for injury. Crossfit already gets a reputation for being unsafe... maybe your box trainers had a better idea of what you're capable of, and I'm definitely glad you're OK... I guess I just cringed at the risk.

momswimbikerun said...

I'm definitely careful not to injure myself and my coaches are always working with me closely to make sure that doesn't happen. Maybe I wrote something confusing, but I'm not sure what you were talking bout with the 5 days in a row… Anyway, thanks for your concern. I know CrossFit can be scary! Congrats on your crow pose!

Axel Kussmann said...

Aren't the Crossfit Open workouts daily? like 14.1 is on Monday, 14.2 Tuesday....etc? If not, my bad!

momswimbikerun said...

Ohhhhh no they're weekly. They're announced on Thursday and you have til Monday to complete them. This was over the course of 5 weeks! I understand where you're coming from now! hahaha those 5 workouts in back to back days would have KILLED me. hahaha

Post a Comment