Saturday, April 26, 2014

Taper Time

I can't believe it is time to taper for the marathon.  How did it get here already?  A week from tomorrow I'll be running 26.2 miles and I'm feeling VERY nervous about it.  Sure I've done this before, but that doesn't mean I can do it again.



I've been having so much trouble with blistering on my feet and that's really been holding me back both physically and mentally.  Do you want to see my feet?  Ok even if you don't, I'm posting the pic anyway so scroll quickly if you don't want to see.



And just so you know this is after several days of healing!  Ugh!  I got brand new shoes on Thursday, but I'm still scared because I really won't be able to test them out before the big day.  I mean I'm running 10 miles tomorrow, but that's usually when the problem starts.  So I'm just blindly going into the marathon wearing new shoes and praying it all works out.


I'm thankful for the opportunity I was given to be a Panera Official Training Menu Blogger.  I've been eating well at Panera and I've discovered what help keep me satisfied before and after long runs.  I'm still in love with the Low Fat B Green Smoothie and my beloved Spinach Power Salad.  These will be staples long after the marathon. 

So ready to eat, forgot to take a pic until it was gone!  
I'm not sure what the point of this post is…. I've had some really great long runs and I've had really horrible long runs. There was really no in between.  The good ones boosted my confidence, but the bad ones seems to stick with you a little longer.  That coupled with the fact that my weekday runs were usually VERY short mileage (3 to 5 miles) has my confidence in the crapper.  

I'm hoping to just go out and run an 11:00 minute pace.  I really just want to be able to last the whole time without feeling horrible.  That is my biggest goal.  I don't want to suffer and be in pain.  I'm hoping the slower pace will help make all the hills manageable.

So there you have it!  My big goals for the marathon.  Survival mode on!

1 comments:

Kristy @PghRunner.com said...

Ouch. You might want to consider trying Altra shoes, they have a nice, wide toe box, and I haven't gotten any toe blisters since, (I used to get them bad!) I've found Mizuno and Saucony to have the most narrow toe box, just an FYI. Maybe get a wide width?

Post a Comment