Sunday, June 29, 2014

State Parkin'-- McConnells Mill

You might remember when my family went to the Kinzua Bridge State Park.  Well that trip had me intrigued about the history of the bridge and I wound up doing some googling.  While googling information, I stumbled across the fact that the Kinzua Bridge State Park is part of the "20 Must See Pennsylvania State Parks."  You see where this is going right? 

I decided as part of our summer fun we'd try to tackle the list and I enlisted Tracey and her kiddos to come along with me.  Now we know we won't get through the WHOLE list this summer, but we decided to just do what we can.  

Since it's the end of June and we hadn't yet managed to see any parks, we decided to make a quick afternoon trip and go to McConnells Mill State Park, which is about 40 minutes from our house.  

The park features a deep scenic gorge with the restored watermill and a covered bridge at the bottom, accessible by a roadway that winds between large, room-sized boulders on the hillside. 

I hadn't been to Mcconnells Mill in years and was excited to see it.  The water at the mill was running very rapidly due to the large amount of rain we've been getting.  It was kind of crazy.  




You can see the covered bridge in the background 
We also went through the covered bridge.  I only brought my iPhone and the pics didn't turn out great.

After we saw the mill and the bridge, we decided to go for a hike by the creek.  The water was running so rapidly and we were pretty close to the edge.  It made me so nervous the whole time.  I couldn't breathe until the path turned more inward and we got away from the water.  I just kept imagining someone getting swept and and carried away.   I'm such a worrier.  


The kids ALL had such a great time hiking in the woods.  I can't even tell you how nice it was.  I don't think I heard one complaint.



We scaled large rocks and collected walking sticks.  You know all the things you do in the woods.









Of cours the girls took any moment they could to have a photo opp.


It was so incredibly hot out and despite having packed a TON of water, we drank it all.  A stop at the local convenience store was in order to make the trip home.  I'm pretty sure that was the highlight of the kids' day!  Ha!  




What do you think, would you want to visit the 20 Must-See PA State Parks?  
I think it's going to be a fun adventure.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment