Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I'm a Runner XXXVII-- Triathlete Editon


Susan Tirch
Motivating you because if I can do it, YOU can do it! 
39, Mars, Pennsylvania 

I was motivated to do my first triathlon because of a TV show on MTV.  I know I've talked about this before, but it deserves saying again.  There was a TV called "Made" and it was about turning someone into something that would be considered uncharacteristic to them and their personality.  i.e. Making a cheerleader into a BMX rider or a "geek" into prom king.  The particular episode I saw MADE a 19 year old coach potato into a triathlete.  If he could do it, I could do it.  

I put my swimming and bike training on the back burner this winter for sure while training for the Pittsburgh Marathon.  Marathon training is all consuming (or so it seems) and leaves little room for other activity, especially since I won't give up my beloved CrossFit.  Something has to give. 

I just ran the Dam Tri and managed to come in about 10th from last.  Yup that's embarrassing/humbling.  I don't think I ever want to experience that again.  Middle of the a pack all the sudden isn't a bad place to be.  Ha! 

It hit me during the race that I was going to be exercising for 3.5 hours (at least) and I thought about how stupid that was.  Haha. I actually said out loud, "this is a dumb sport, who does this."  All endurance events are kind of like labor though--you'll soon forget and do it again.  

I can't wait to do my next tri (it's a sprint).  I feel adequately prepared to do the sprint distance tri and think it will be something I will actually enjoy!  

The beauty of triathlon is just when you're about sick of something, you get to change to something else.  I'd give anything around mile 22 of a marathon to hop on a bike.  

I ran the last two triathlons I've done in a TYR two piece tri-suit.  It's so much better than the one piece I had previously.  I feel a LOT less like a sausage.  It's no more or less comfortable, but the look is MUCH better.  A one piece tri-suit adds about 20 pounds (in my opinion).  

I dare say I will do an Ironman someday.  I'm not too sure that the someday is in the near future.  I imagine when my kids are in college, I'll talk the ironman.  Sometimes when I think about it, however, I think it's impossible. 

Maybe I should consider tackling the half iron distance first.  It was on my radar for a long time, but the level of commitment that it takes just wasn't something I was willing to undertake this summer.  I MUCH rather spend time with my family.  That makes me happy and ultimately I want to do what makes me happy.  

You can do triathlon.  If I can then YOU can!  Do it!  






0 comments:

Post a Comment