Sunday, November 16, 2014

I'm a Runner XXXVIII Ragnar Editon


I first heard about Ragnar, how else, but reading about it in the blog world.  I was definitely inspired to run by the recaps I read.

I tried to form a team from the runners I knew and could only come up with 6.  Then Kris from CrossFit asked one of my team members (Diana) if she could come up with 6 people to run on Kris' team.  Um yes,  yes she could.  And so the hashtags were born.

I've just run the one Ragnar that I did this last September, but it will NOT be my last.  I would love to run all of them at some point, but that will mean they have to stick around for a LONG, LONG time.  Also, I'm not sure if you ever "wear out."

I got to choose my leg of the Ragnar and I was so intimidated by the whole experience, I chose one of the easier legs.  I'm not sad I did, but part of me wished I had chosen a more challenging leg.  I mean, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Right?

Running a Ragnar makes you have a whole new appreciation for things.  Like showers, and pillows and even real food.  Trail mix and sweetish fish only get you so far.

I wore the same sports bra for all 3 legs of my race and never changed out of it.  That wasn't the plan, but I never had the energy to try to take it off and put on a new one.  I apologize to my van mates, but they might have been more offended seeing my pancakes boobs.

Our van was so huge.  I drive an extended edition Expedition which is pretty darn big, but it was like a whole other ball game driving that van.  I just backed up and prayed when I had to go in reverse.  Ha!

You can manage to get some sleep during a Ragnar but I'd say the average sleep in the 36 hours was 1 to 2 hours.  Some people slept 15 minutes while others slept maybe 4 hours.

I run every week and try to run long on the weekends.  I didn't do anything special to train specifically for the Ragnar.  I just did my normal thing.  It wasn't the running that was hard for this race (of course remember I chose the easy leg) it was the sleep deprivation that was hard.  Perhaps thats where I should have done my training.

I run about 15 to 20 miles a week typically.  It's not that much, but it's about what keeps me happy.  Two short runs during the week and one long run on the weekend.  It works.

During Ragnar, I suspect there is some suspicious activity going on in some of the vans.   We saw a van with marijuana leaves all over it and their team name was "The Moving Joints."  At first I was like, "no it can't be" but apparently they're some pot smoking runners.  Who knew?

I wasn't particularly impressed by the team names and van decorations this year.  I had heard all kinds of hype, but most vans we encountered weren't particularly special.  I imagine a lot of vans are kind of inside jokes.  I mean who really understood The Hashtags besides us.

In the last leg of the race as we waited for Erica to come in, I couldn't help but feel pretty freaking bad ass.  I mean seriously 2 vans, 12 runners, 200 miles in 2 days (less than).  One word:  EPIC!


0 comments:

Post a Comment