Friday, January 2, 2015

Not a Resolution Post

Everyone keeps asking me that question.... What's your New Year's Resolution?  The truth?  I don't have one.  Ok well I do have ONE, but it's not very exciting.  I decided to floss everyday.  Somehow I got away from it.  So yeah.  That's it.  I'm going to floss.  2 days and I'm 2 for 2.  End of post. Have a great day.

Well that's not very exciting now is it?  It's not that I'm against resolutions, I'm not, but I don't have this burning desire to do (or not do) something.  I don't need to quit smoking (I don't smoke), I probably should resolve to stop swearing in the car, but I don't have anything I feel that passionately about.

Now that is NOT to say that I don't have goals, but even those are a tad bit sketchy.  Here's the thing... I want to focus on one thing, one word in 2015.  I think it's a better approach for me. So what's the word of 2015?  Happiness.  I really want to focus on and do what makes ME happy.

You know what makes me happy?  Yeah, me neither.  I may not know right now what's going to make me happy in December or even April.  I'm really sick of putting so much pressure on myself to do things that don't necessarily make me happy.  I was hell bent on running a sub 2:00 half marathon at Buffalo Creek and I failed.  I cried.  That obviously didn't make me happy.


That's not to say I don't think I need to push myself, but I'm not defined by a number.  Does it really make me any less of a runner that I finished that race in 2:01:09?  Am I going to let my happiness be stolen by 1 minute and 9 seconds?  So my goal is to run happy!


When I ran the EQT with Kim in November, I realized I actually liked to run.  I had such a fun, fun time at EQT because all I focused on was running with Kim and being happy.  Life is too short to run with a miserable look on your face.

The truth is, I really love CrossFit.  It makes me happy.  There is hardly a day where I wake up and think to myself, "I don't want to go to CrossFit."  I mean, yeah maybe I don't want to do a workout (because it's a tad scary) but I hardly ever feel like I just don't want to do it.


This pic is a total joke by the way 
So I've given up my shorter runs during the week and have been focusing on CrossFit and it's making me happy.  I even enjoying my longer runs on the weekends and the occasional short run too.  Running less makes me like it more.

I know I want to do the CrossFit Open and push myself to be uncomfortable, but I won't allow myself to get wrapped up in scores and such.  Again, last year I cried after one of the workouts.  Why?  Because I couldn't do more then 3 65 lb OHS.  Does that define me?  No! When I started CrossFit, I could barely do a 35 lb OHS.  I'm focusing on what I can do and not what I can't do and that makes me happy.

Don't let any of this fool you.  I WILL push myself to do awesome things.  I'll continue to run races and have goals, but I won't allow myself to be defined by a race time or a lift number.  Speaking of numbers, I also won't be focusing on the number on the scale.  The truth is, it doesn't matter.  I know I'm healthy and most likely when it comes to my body,  I'll never TRULY be happy.  So I'm focusing on eating well, lifting heavy and I think my body will do what I want it to do.  I'm confident if I can let go and just BE HAPPY things will finally fall into place.

What makes you happy?  What are your New Year's goals/resolutions.  Tell me in the comments!  




0 comments:

Post a Comment