Monday, January 12, 2015

Patting Myself on the Back and You Should Too

You guys all know I'm a CrossFit junkie.  I try not to talk about it too, too much on here because let's face it CrossFit gets a bad rap for people "drinking the Kool Aid" and never shutting the eff up about it.  I get it.  So I try not to be so obnoxious about it. 

Truth is, however, I love it and I would scream from the rooftops for everyone to try it if I could scale the house and actually get on said rooftop.  Alas, I can not so I shall just scream from here for a few minutes.  CROSSFIT IS GREAT (<---- see what I did there... yelling), for so many reasons.  The community inspires me to do better, I push myself physically to do things I never dreamed I could do, but I also get to break through mental barriers.  It's an all-encompassing workout-- mind and body.   

My frist breakthrough in Crossfit came last year during the CrossFit Open.  You can read about my workouts here, here, here, here and here.  Each one taught me something new and different.  Some workouts left me feeling defeated, but some left me feeling badass and invigorated.  

The one that left me feeling energized and like I could tackle the world was workout 14.3.  The workout involved box jumps and deadlifts.  Heading into this workout (which took place in March of 2014) my max deadlift was 155 pounds.  Obviously it was an old max because I was able to do twenty 155 pound deadlifts during that workout and then had to move on to heavier weight.  

Face of misery lifting 155 pounds 
I had never even attempted anything beyond 155 pounds.  Now, I had to attempt 185 pounds.  To me, it might as well have been a Mac truck.  Here's my recap of lifting 185 pounds from my 14.3 post.  

"The first time I pulled, I couldn't do it.  By this time the box owner, Tammy came over and was standing right in front of me.  Tammy knows each of her athletes.  She knows what each person is capable of.  She knew what I was attempting wasn't easy for me.  She told me to get my chest up and do it.  So I did!!! 

I stood up with it quite easily actually, but in order for the rep to count, you have to lock out your legs and put your shoulders back.  I swear I fought for 10 seconds to get my shoulders back and have the rep count.  As soon as my judge gave me the nod, everyone started screaming and I was so flipping happy.  I was done… or so I thought. 

I had some time left and everyone started screaming at me to go again and so I did.  Again, I was able to get it up rather easily (I didn't say anything about form), but getting in that final position for the rep to count took every ounce of my strength.  I really thought I was going to drop it, but I fought so hard for that rep and I did it…. just as time ran out.  Literally the clock turned to 8:00.  Tammy gave me the biggest hug and I had tears well up in my eyes.  It was an absolutely amazing feeling."  

I can still remember this moment like it was yesterday and how amazing it felt to accomplish something I didn't think I was capable of doing.  

Fast forward to today.  No matter how much I love CrossFit, I still struggle with it.  Struggle that I'm basically average at it.  Struggle that it seems like everyone is better than I.  Constantly comparing myself to other people and what they can do.  It's not that I want to be better than them or I'm trying to compete per se.  I just want to know that I'm improving and sometimes when I compare myself to others, it seems like I'm stuck at the same level.  Today made me realize something.  I've come a LONG, LONG way in just 10 months.  Today this happened.  


240 pounds baby!  That's up 20 pounds from 2 months ago and up 55 pounds from 10 months ago.  Remember I had to fight for that 185 pounds and it took every ounce of my strength?  Today I lifted 240 pounds "smooth" according to my coach.  I did it and it felt pretty damn amazing.  Wow sometimes I don't give myself near enough credit.  I've been a LOT more consistent with my CrossFit workouts. My passion for it is finally translating into something positive.  There is still SO SO much I can't do, but I AM improving.  So, I'm taking this moment to pat myself on the back because why shouldn't I and so should YOU!  Celebrate yourself and notice when your hard work is paying off even if it's not quite up to snuff with the next "guy."  

1 comments:

Jennifer Lyker said...

You're a beast! In the best way :) awesome job!

Post a Comment