Monday, January 5, 2015

Progress and Patience

Today is the day you've probably been waiting for-- the first Monday of the new year.  I don't know why it feels like the perfect day to start over, but let's just go with it.  It's the day where everyone vows to be perfect and give up this and that.  We say, I will do this EVERY day and NOT do that ever again.  That's fine, it's even admirable, maybe you're a cold turkey kind of gal (guy), but I'm here to tell you if you're not it's OKAY!

The thing is, we are ALL about instant gratification.  We all want results RIGHT NOW and aren't exactly patient when it comes to getting what we want.  The truth, however, is that losing weight is HARD and it takes time, but if you keep doing little things consistently, they will add up to something big.  So cut yourself some slack and relax about it.  If you want to be in this for longer than the first week of 2015, you need to be patient.

I started a weight loss challenge in October and set a goal for myself to lose (at least) 10 pounds.  That seemed like a daunting task, so I can imagine if you have more weight to lose that it seems very overwhelming.  I get it. You get on the scale every morning after a day of starving and working out and the scale hasn't budged.  Keep going!  You get on the scale after a day of slipping up here and a chocolate chip cookie binge there.  The scale is up.  Keep going!

"Before" September 2014
The thing is, the scale might not always show you what you want to see, but no matter what it reads you can give yourself permission to do what you want.  If it's down, you feel invigorated and are encouraged to keep going.  Or it's down and you feel entitled to do what you want and have a little extra of this or extra of that.  If it's up, you want to say "to hell with this" and go back to bad habits.  Or maybe seeing it up makes you buckle down.  The truth is the scale can do many things to your psyche and I say throw it out.  Don't let the scale talk you, don't let the scale get in your head.  It's just a number and it alone doesn't define you.

What defines you is that you keep going.  You know what?  It's going to take awhile and you WILL mess up and that is totally fine.  Life isn't about being perfect, life is about making progress.  If  you do the best you can each day, each meal, each choice, it can add up to something amazing.

Over the course of 70 days.  Yes 70 days.  I managed to lose the 10 pounds I wanted to lose.  10 pounds didn't take one week like on The Biggest Loser.  It took OVER TWO MONTHS.  That's just about 1 pound a week.  When I finally lost it, everyone asked me what I did.  No one asked me when I was 1.5 lbs down on week 2 or when I plateaued at week 6 (AND 7), but eventually I got to where I needed to be and the hard work and dedication, patience and persistence paid off.   Trust me when I tell you I wasn't perfect.

"After" November 2014 

There's no secret.  There's no magic.  It doesn't take perfection.  It just take some hard work, dedication, and a LOT A BIT of patience.  You CAN do it!

Go get it!

3 comments:

JulietteHarmon said...

One of my favorite blogs! And you look great!!

Susan Tirch said...

thanks JuJu

Alicia said...

Congrats on the 10 lb loss, and your message is exactly what I needed to hear. It's so frustrating to see the scale appear to not be moving, but over time there is change, however slow it is going.

Post a Comment