Sunday, March 1, 2015

CrossFit Open WOD 15.1

It's that time of year again.  Time for the CrossFit Open.  In case you don't know, the CrossFit Open is a 5 week competition (with 1 WOD a week) where the top scoring individuals advance to regionals and then on to the CrossFit Games.  Obviously, I am not advancing to the games or regionals either, but I compete in the Open to push myself to do things outside my comfort zone.  Sometimes FAR outside my comfort zone.  As it was last year, I've got my partner in crime, Tracey. 


I have to admit, this year I was NOWHERE near as nervous as I was last year.  I think I realized that it REALLY doesn't matter.  I'm doing this all for ME and me alone and to push myself beyond my currently perceived limits.  So when the workout was announced on Thursday evening, I didn't exactly panic.  

The Workout: 


I was kind of nervous because of the toes to bar (T2B), but the snatches really had me worried.  It wasn't so much the weight, but the snatch had to be taken from the floor and I normally do my snatches from the high hang position.  For those that don't know what that means, it's just basically standing up and holding the bar.  

So I went into the box on Friday morning to "cram" for the open WOD.  I practiced my 75 pound snatch. I was able to do it from the high hang, but despite trying and trying could NOT get it from the floor.   I did, however, get some valuable instruction from my coach Tricia and I felt pretty good about the snatch when I left.  I didn't know if I could do it, but I knew I had the tools to try and I prayed for WOD strength.  

Next up I practiced my T2B which haven't been stellar up until this point.  I could not string more than 1 together and often times didn't get my toes all the way to the bar.  Magically, when I started practicing, my toes hit the bar every time.  Again, Tricia helped me and I even managed to string 3 together.  

My cram session had me feeling much more confident for my 7:00 am WOD time for the open on Saturday morning.  

I arrived at the box and felt far more nervous than I thought I would.  I warmed up and did some 55 pound snatches and just tried to relax as much as possible.  Tammy (my box owner) was selected as my judge and it was go time.  


My plan for the T2B was to go 3 at a time.  I got my first three in a row and things were going great.  Then when I jumped up to do the 4th, I decided singles would be best.  I did NOT want to waste time getting no repped and decided singles ultimately would be better than wasting time and energy doing otherwise.  


Even though doing singles wasn't ideal, it worked for me and I was off the bar fairly quickly.  


On to the deadlifts.  To be honest 75 pound deadlifts are a really light weight.  I took my time to breath and regroup before I had to move on to the dreaded snatch. 


I set myself up for the snatch, but my mind was definitely playing tricks on me.  I was psyching myself out.  


I tried and failed a few times and it definitely wasn't pretty.  


It was my second or third time trying and I snatched that baby up.  I think I shocked the hell out of myself.  


I literally screamed.  


You can see, Tammy was extremely happy for me!  I love this picture because Tammy is literally jumping for joy.  It goes to show how much she cares about her athletes and how she wants to see us all achieve good things.  



I remember coming back to the bar to try for the second snatch and having goosebumps.  Everyone in the box had cheered and shouted when I got the 75 pounds and the moment was pretty exciting for me.  

Unfortunately, that was the only time I got under the bar for the snatch.  I just couldn't get the mechanics down of taking it from the floor.  My brain go in the way, I could NOT force myself to drop under the bar no matter what I did.  It was quite the mess.  I was so proud of my one 75 pound rep.  I honestly felt amazing about it.  I will be snatching 75 lbs from the ground consistently this year.  

Next up was the 1 rep max of the clean and jerk.  I had a plan to do 85, 95 and then go for 100 pounds.  I had made a short-term goal for myself at the beginning of the year to get 100 pounds overhead and the Open was going to be my place to get it.  I was confident.

I started with 85 pounds and easily cleaned and jerked it overhead.  I decided on the split jerk and for whatever reason forgot to bring my feet back to center.  NO REP.  It didn't matter to me.  I knew I could get more than 85 pounds anyway, so I set up for 95.  Again, it seemed so easy.  I was excited.  I knew I was going to get 100 pounds.   I cleaned.


I jerked. 


I easily put 100 pounds overhead.  I was so excited.  Another PR during the Open.  I had a bunch of time left so I decided to add on.  I loaded 105 pounds and was able to clean it.  I failed twice trying to jerk it overhead.  It was so frustrating because 100 pounds felt so comfortable, but 105 pounds felt like a Mack truck.  What's up with that?  I didn't care, however, I had met my goal!  

And just like that 15.1 was in the books.  Final score:  26 reps and 100 pounds.  I'll take it.  


I'm nothing but excited for 15.2.  















0 comments:

Post a Comment