Thursday, March 26, 2015

CrossFit Open Workout 15.4

I probably should have written this post right after the workout happened because my reflection might have been tainted a little by time.  Nonetheless, here's my recap of 15.4.  


The Rx (as prescribed) open workout started with HSPU (hand stand push ups), which I can't do strict.  That automatically put me out of the Rx workout.  I had to scale and I wasn't happy about it, but it was that or do nothing so scale I would.

The scaled workout was as follows:

8 minute AMRAP 

10 Push Press 65 lbs 

push press

10 Cleans 75 lbs 

clean


I was nervous as usual because pushing 65 pounds overhead isn't easy for me.  Couple that with my bad shoulder that had been flaring up and I just didn't know what I could do.  I prayed 8 minutes would just go by quickly.

Just before I was set to go, George walked in with Nicholas and my dad to surprise me and watch.  That made me extra nervous, but I was glad they were there.  They sat right in front of me and I told myself to just get busy and do the best I could.

65 lbs is heavy for me and it didn't feel great from the get go.  I decided to use the slow and steady approach.  I wanted to complete one full round in 1:30 and therefore get more than 4 rounds in.  I kinda knew that was shooting for the stars and made my "B" goal 80 reps.


I felt so slow on the push presses and I probably was.  I wasted so much time at the top of each rep making sure I was locked out.  My shoulder just makes that hard and I worried I'd get no-repped.  


Nonetheless, I made it through the push presses and in good time.  On to the clean.

The clean felt relatively "easy."  I mean not EASY, EASY, but it didn't feel as bad as the push press.  I got through the first 10 unscathed.






I finished my first round in 1:15 and rested until 1:30.  That was my plan right?  To do the round in 1:30.  So I took the rest.  Well, the next round was harder and slower and I got back to the push presses again after the 3:00 mark so there was no time to rest.  

I some how powered through another round of push presses and then the cleans.  At the end of round 3 I was done.  I went back to the push presses and actually said out loud "I don't want to do this."  The weight just felt so heavy.  

Somehow I managed all 10 push presses and everyone was screaming at me.  I got on the bar for the cleans and started banging them out.  I dropped the bar at rep #5 and everyone roared to get the bar back up.  I did.  Dropped again.  Yelling again.  I got one last rep and time was called. 

77 reps.  Meh.  I don't know, I thought I had given it all I had, but now (after over 5 days of reflection) I wish I hadn't rested at all and I hadn't taken so many "I feel sorry for myself because I can't breathe" breaks.  Does it really matter? NO!  

One workout left folks!!  












0 comments:

Post a Comment