Monday, April 27, 2015

Meet Four Crazy Back to Back Half Marathoners

I feel like I never fill y'all in anymore.  I suck.  What can I say?  So the back story.  I grew up part of my life in Indianapolis, IN and part of it in Pittsburgh, PA.  My dad, one sister and brother all live in Indy and my mom and other sister live in Pittsburgh (as do I).  So I've always been torn between the two cities.  I do, however, consider myself a Pittsburgher.  

I love the Pittsburgh Half Marathon.  It's my favorite race.  The crowd support is amazing.  The course runs through the city I love.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.  Ok well maybe that West End Circle.  Am I right?  

Anyway, I also have a love for Indy and Indianapolis hosts the largest stand alone half marathon in the country.  It's a race I've always wanted to do.  Guess when it's held every year?  The SAME weekend as the Pittsburgh Marathon.  I have a goal to run Pittsburgh as many years in a row as I can in Pittsburgh.  I want to have a streak 25 years long if I can.  Whether that be in the half marathon, marathon or relay, I never want to miss Pittsburgh.  Having said that, I have this strong desire to run Indy.  You see where this is going right?  



I got the bright idea to run the Indy "mini marathon" as they call it on Saturday and the Pittsburgh Half Marathon on Sunday.  I wondered if I'd be able to talk one single person into doing it with me.  Who would be crazy enough? Well meet them... my FOUR crazy friends, none of who needed coerced (AT ALL) to join me on this wild adventure.  


KATE:  


  • When did you start running?  I have been running since the summer after my Freshman year of college, about 6 years 
  • How many half marathons have you run?  3: Pittsburgh 2014, Buffalo Creek 2014, and Shamrock Shuffle 2015
  • Half Marathon PR:   1:58:18 clock time at Buffalo Creek Half 2014
  • Goal for Indy: Keep a steady "all day" pace to save my legs for day 2. I would be happy to finish around 2:10. I am SO excited to run the lap on the speedway track because I went to the Indy 500 last year
  • Goal for Pgh:  I would be happy to get right around 2 hours but I'm not putting my money on it (trying to be realistic). As long as I finish blister free I'll be happy! I'm running on Team JDRF to support my little brother so I'll be using that as motivation to keep my legs going. 
  • What is the craziest athletic event you've ever participated in?  This isn't so much crazy as it just is proud. In 2013 I ran Pittsburgh Relay for the marathon with four other ladies from TPA [CrossFit Gym]. My team didn't discuss any goals prior to the race but we ended up placing 10th out of 239 teams! I joke that had I realized we were doing so well I wouldn't have been bobbing and weaving to high five little kids in the crowd. Also, doing a keg stand halfway through Shamrock Shuffle was kinda crazy!
KELLI:  

Big Sur Marathon last year


  • When did you start running?  About 10 years ago 
  • How many half marathons have you run?  I think 9
  • Half Marathon PR:  1:54:13 - Boston Trail half marathon!!
  • Goal for Indy: 1:55
  • Goal for Pgh:  Under 2 hours, around a 1:58
  • What is the craziest athletic event you've ever participated in?   Riding 120 miles on my bicycle in Las Vegas in 90+ degree heat as a member of Team In Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
KIM:  
At the end of her first half marathon 

  • When did you start running?   I started running in Jan of 2014.
  • How many half marathons have you run?  I have run 2 half marathons.  Buffalo Creek in Oct of 2014 & The Shamrock Shuffle in March 2015.
  • Half Marathon PR:  2:26:13
  • Goal for Indy:  just soak it all in and have fun!
  • Goal for Pgh:  have fun running with Susan and take some awesome photos along the way.
  • What is the craziest athletic event you've ever participated in?   I would have to say signing up to run B2B half marathons. 
TRACEY:  

        On her way to a sub 4 hour marathon
  • How long have you been running?   15 years (minus pregnancies and a broken elbow that put me out 5 months) 
  • How many half marathons have you run? 19 (may have missed one or two)
  • Half Marathon PR: 1:46:46  Buffalo Creek 2012
  • Goal for Indy:  Under 1:50
  • Goal for Pgh:Under 1:55 (if I can still move my legs)
  • What is the craziest athletic event you've ever participated in?  Ragnar DC!

Next up... MY goals... but I'll save that for another post.   

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is so inspiring! To see other fit moms, please visit: https://glpbrand.com/

Post a Comment