Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend -- Rim Rock Trail

We went to my friends Tracey's and Nate's camp for Memorial Day weekend.  It's our third annual trip for Memorial Day.  I'll share pics of camp in another post, but here I wanted to share our adventure to Rim Rock Trail in the Allegheny National Forest.  


Tracey said she was taking us to see caves.  So I had a picture in my mind of what we'd be doing.  I pictured these wide open caves that were dark and cold. I wasn't quite prepared for what we saw at Rim Rock Trail.

 First this scene overlooking the Allegheny Reservoir.  I mean how breathtaking is that?  Despite seeing pictures of Tracey's before, I hadn't really prepared myself for this stunning view.


While there are some amazing things to see/do/eat in Texas and we miss living there, this is something you would never see in Texas and that's exactly what I said as I walked up.  I can only imagine what this would look like in fall.  


I could have stood there all day looking, but we had caves to see. 


We started walking down the narrow walkway to the caves and it was already way different than I expected.  I hadn't expected the huge rocks and steep decline into the cave area.


It's hard to convey the beauty of nature with pictures from an iPhone, but trust me when I tell you it was amazing to see.  



I was mesmerized by the rocks... cliffs... I don't even know what you call these things?  Boulders?  


And do you see those cracks in the rocks?  Yeah those are the caves?  Um tight squeeze much?  We joked that we may need some butter to squeeze ourselves through the caves.  


The "cracks" (because these are NOT caves) were soooooo cold.  You could stand outside one and it was like built in air conditioning.  


It was so scenic I must have snapped 150 pictures.  I'm only showing you a fraction (and mostly the ones with the cute kids).



 Seriously Jack?




After we explored the caves, we walked through the woulds and climbed lots of rocks.  Again, it's so hard to depict from a few photos how cool this forest was.  There were huge boulders everywhere and we would climb them when we could.




The one below is the largest and steepest.  I HAD to climb it.  It was probably 25 feet and it was straight up.  Ella, Tracey, Megan, Nicholas, George and I all climbed it.


I was so proud of Ella because she was scared and didn't know if she could do it.  I told her to use some positive talk techniques and she was telling herself she was strong and capable as she climbed the rock.  It was awesome to see her be scared, overcome and achieve.






Getting down was actually a lot harder than getting up and we had quite a few laughs watching Tracey go down first.  At one point she was laughing so hard she was just lying against the rock and shaking.  I'm sure it was one of those "you had to be there" moments, but one we'll never forget.



 I love making these type of memories!  Thanks Rim Rock Trail.








0 comments:

Post a Comment