Thursday, July 2, 2015

MS 150 Escape to the Lake 2015

(As per usual, I'm behind in blogging.  This ride took place the second weekend in June)

So the annual MS 150 came upon us.  My training was lackluster to say the least.  Training consisted for one 24 mile ride and two 13 mile rides.  Yea that'll get you ready for 150 mile over two days.  If you're interested in my training plan let me know and I'll get that right over to you. 

I was definitely nervous about the ride, but I knew I would make it through even if it was slow.  I had my friends by my side (oh and my husband).  

Kelli, Jaime, Tracey and Myself 

We were worried about the weather because it looked like rain for most of the weekend, but it was scattered and off and on.  At this point I can't even remember if it rained on day one (I've slept many times since this ride) but I think it did for a bit.

I pulled into the second rest stop of the day and realized my cleat was falling off my shoe.  Without it, I wouldn't be able to clip into my pedals.  Luckily it hadn't affected anything thus far and I was able to have a guy from a bike shop, who was there volunteering his time, fix my shoe.

I was actually surprised how well I felt the whole first day.  My neck and butt hurt, but I wasn't doing to bad as far as the biking went.  Yes we were slow (13 mph) but we were making it.

I was heading into another rest stop and there was a huge hill leading up to it.  I felt like my back tire felt funny.  I thought I was having a mom moment where I think I have a flat tire (my mom ALWAYS thought she had a flat in the car).  I laughed to myself and thought, "Nah, it's not flat."  Then some guy drove past me and said, "You're looking a little low there."  Yep I had a flat!  I had to walk my damn bike up the hill into the rest stop. Again, I used a volunteer bike shop guy to fix my tire.  Thankfully I know how to time my "events".  

Ok no more "events" please.  I was REALLY happy to be finished with my first day.  No matter how well I felt, being on my bike for a LONG time was taking it's toll and I was glad to be at our last rest stop for the day.  

The lady said to make a funny face, I was the only one who listened 
George and I opted to stay in a hotel room this year instead of the dorm.  So we dropped out bikes and headed for the shuttle.

OMG the hotel room was the best decision of my life.  I was so happy to be sleeping in a nice comfy bed and to take a good shower.  It made getting up the next morning not quite as bad.

The thoughts of getting on the bike day two is always a little daunting, but I did it and even managed faked a smile.

We got off to a fast start and were ready to tackle day 2.  Nate was just behind me on a bridge when I heard a large pop.  I turned and asked, "Was that you?"  He responded, "Yep."  1.3 miles into our ride and we had a flat.  Again, we got lucky and there was a SAG vehicle on the corner who gave Nate a pump so we didn't have to mess with canned air.  The only thing is, once he got in the tube and started to pump it up, the tube was pinched and busted.  So he had to change the tire AGAIN.  It wound up being at least a 20 minute process.

The rest of the day was just getting from rest stop to rest stop and trying to beat the rain.  We made it to the last rest stop (about 10 miles before the finish) before we get held up due to rain. It had been raining pretty heavily and we were soaked, but there was a major thunder storm rolling through and the race officials wouldn't let anyone leave the rest stop.  We hung out under a dripping tent for the 20 minutes or so that it took to pass.

By this point we are all tired and just done.  Ready to be finished, there was nothing that could stop us.  Nothing but a flat tire that is.  5 miles from the finish, Tracey had a flat.

Again, the SAG saved us with a pump (so much easier than compressed air) but we had a bad tube this time.  So AGAIN it was a TWO change process.  We really couldn't catch a break today.  

After what seemed like an eternity, we made it to the finish line.  Yay! After 2 days of riding and almost 150 miles (it was 143 or 147 something like that) we were D.O.N.E. DONE!

Luckily the clouds cleared up and we enjoyed lake Erie and some food in the sun instead of the rain.  

Another MS 150 complete.  I honored to be able to ride for such a great cause, flat tires and all.


Post a Comment