Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Ragnar Adirondaks 2015: Meet the Women of Steel

So I've decided to do another Ragnar Relay.  200 miles, 2 days, 2 vans, 12 runners.  You can read about my last adventure with Ragnar here and here.  This year's adventure will be this Friday and Saturday.  I'm leaving with my teammates on Thursday afternoon.  We will get up on Friday morning at which time the sleep deprivation and running will begin.  Wish us luck.  But first meet the "Women of Steel."

Danielle: Legs 1, 13, 25


Diana, Charlene, Danielle, Tracey, Erica, Susan 


Number of Ragnars Completed: 1
What I'm looking forward to the most about RagnarSpending time with the most amazing and inspiring teammates
What I'm NOT looking forward to at all about RagnarMy leg 3.  That elevation gain has me psyched out
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me:   I'm in a doctoral program for nursing.  I may (or may not) need to write a paper during this adventure!  And I can't whistle.

Suzanne:  Legs 2, 14, and 26 

Katelyn:  Legs 3, 15 and 27 


Number of Ragnars Completed: 0 – Adirondacks is my first!
What I'm looking forward to the most about Ragnar: Running the beautiful Adirondacks and sharing this once in a lifetime experience with 11 other inspiring women.
What I'm NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar: The van ride to and from New York – I’m not a fan of long car rides! And probably not being able to shower for 48 or so hours.
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me:  I have skied the Swiss Alps!


Erin:  Legs 4, 16 and 28: 



Number of Ragnars Completed: 2
What I'm looking forward to the most about Ragnar: Meeting new Pittsburgh runners :-)
What I'm NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar: Lack of sleep!
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me: I am addicted to video games; yes even active people can have lethargic hobbies.

Diane:  Legs 5, 17 and 29 


Number of Ragnars Completedmy 2nd Ragner Relay. Last year was such a blast!
What I'm looking forward to the most about RagnarI am looking forward to the beautiful scenery in the Adirondacks! We used to go on a family vacation every summer as a kid.
What I'm NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar:  I am not looking forward to the very long drive.😐 
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me: I can sleep just about anywhere😁


Erica:  Legs, 6, 18 and 30




Number of Ragnars Completed: 1, this will be my 2nd
What I'm looking forward to the most about Ragnar: having another awesome experience!! spending time with friends and running in some beautiful new places!
What I'm NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar: driving that big van!! Just kidding, hopefully that's not too bad, but I lucked out and didn't have to drive it at all at Ragnar last year. I've been eating a Paleo diet for almost 3 months. Eating was difficult for me at Ragnar last year. I didn't have much of an appetite maybe nervous about running and bathrooms and living in a van, not sure. But I'm hoping that either eating by staying on the same diet is doable but doesn't cause energy issues or by going off of it slightly doesn't cause any stomach issues. 
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me:  I've been dealing with some plantar fasciitis pain in my one foot for a few months now. I hope to get through the race without a flare up or too much pain.  

Charlene:  Legs 7, 19, and 31 
 Tracey:  Legs 8, 20 and 32 




Number of Ragnars Completed: 1
What I'm looking forward to the most about Ragnarrunning in upstate NY and seeing Lake Placid
What I'm NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnartrying to get some sleep.  I think I slept about 45 minutes total last year.
Something you'd be surprised to learn about meSince I have nothing too surprising, here are three interesting tidbits 1) I have never had a cup of coffee, 2) I can read just as fast with a book upside down as it is right side up, 3) I wanted to be a sports writer when I was younger.
Susan (that's me):  Legs 9, 21 and 33 



Number of Ragnars:  Adirondacks is my second 
What you're looking forward to the most about Ragnar:  Seeing a part of the country I've never seen before and spending time with these amazing ladies. 
Something I'm NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar:  Lack of sleep, running at night alone and being cold.  
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me:   I once drove a 4 wheeler into a lake by accident when I was about 13 years old.  I'm skilled like that. 


Kelli:  Legs 10, 22 and 34 


Number of Ragnars Completed: 0
What I'm  looking forward to the most about Ragnar:  Getting to spend a weekend with some awesome women who are all amazing athletes!  
What you're NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar:  Something that I am not looking forward to about Ragnar is sleeping in the vans!!!    
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me:  I love having my feet massaged!! lol 


Kim:  Legs 11, 23 and 35 


Number of Ragnars Completed:  This is my first Ragnar, and I am so excited!
What I'm  looking forward to the most about Ragnar:  The thing I am looking most forward to is our first big meal after the relay is over.  I'm joking!  I'm looking forward to this whole experience with these awesome ladies!
What you're NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar:  Hmmm...I'm definitely not thrilled about missing out on a proper shower until the relay is over.  😁
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me:  Something you'd be surprised to learn about me...I like to listen to very inappropriate music when I'm running solo, and I swear.  A lot. 


Jaime:  Legs 12, 24 and 36 



Number of Ragnars Completed:  0
What I'm  looking forward to the most about Ragnar:  Almost everything, I always wanted to do one, but I could never organize something like that.....ENTER SUSAN TIRCH and this awesome group of women in our running group!
What you're NOT looking forward to at all about Ragnar:   I am legitimately scared of the dark, so the thought of running at night alone gives me a little anxiety! 
Something you'd be surprised to learn about me:  I don't have anything too interesting, but I HATED running.  In high school we had a final grade of a timed mile and I thought... "A whole mile, at one time, NO THANK YOU." And I walked.  I played basketball and softball so my idea of running was short sprints around a court or field.  When I was in college I had to find a way to exercise (honestly to lose the freshman 15.) My roommate and good friend Beth talked me into running with her and we weren't focusing on miles but trying to run straight minutes.  We did around 30 minutes and she talked me through it and from that moment on I was hooked. 


There you have it.  My 11 amazing friends (2 of which I haven't met yet, but I know they're amazing).  Stop back to see if we survive.  2 days, 200 miles!!!  Let's do this!  





0 comments:

Post a Comment