Sunday, October 25, 2015

A Little Tidbit to Remember

This is my beautiful daughter Ella.  


While I don't think that anyone would dispute that she's beautiful on the outside, what you may not know is that she's beautiful on the inside too.  It might sound conceited to say these things about my daughter and yeah maybe it is, but she's my daughter and this is my blog.  Hah!

Anyway, yesterday we were at hockey and Ella doesn't particularly like to come in the rink.  I can't blame her as it's usually pretty darn cold.  So, I generally let her sit out by the fireplace in the lobby and there are usually a lot of kids milling about.  This give my mom and my sister a heart attack, but when you spend so much time at the rink, you get lenient.  I digress.

Ella will often meet kids and play with them.  No bid deal, right?  I mean they're kids.  They meet and become instant friends.  Well Ella came up to the rink to check in with me and she told me, "Mom I met a friend and we're playing and she's in a wheelchair and she's really nice."

I didn't think too much about it really until I went to leave.  Ella was playing with the "girl in a wheelchair" and, as I found out later, they were playing Monopoly on the little girl's iPad.  Ella had never played Monopoly before so she was happy to learn something new.   I told Ella it was time to go and she started to say goodbye to her new friend and reached and gave her the biggest hug.  The little girl's eyes were beaming.  She was so happy.

The little girl's mom was standing there (right next to her child... read good mom) auctioning raffle baskets and she looked at Ella with eyes that told a story in a matter of moments.  She said to Ella, "Thank you so much for playing with her today."  Her eyes didn't just say thank you for playing, but thank you for accepting her daughter.  I could tell from her mother's look alone that not many kids stop to play with the "little girl in the wheelchair."  It broke my heart and made me proud all at once.

Ella sees people for who they are on the inside.  It's a quality I have always admired about her.  Sure I've tried to teach her these things, as I have with my boys, but with Ella her love and acceptance of others seems so innate.

I wished we lived in a world where there were no wheelchairs, alas we do not.  So I'll aspire to see the world and people a little more like my beautiful daughter.  Inside AND out!


Disclaimer:  I realize Ella's behavior isn't anything special really and everyone SHOULD act just as she does.  This post isn't to toot my own daughter's horn but to one day look back and remember.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment