Monday, December 14, 2015

I'm Perfect and Other Lies my Santa Pictures Tell You

I feel like if you've read my blog long enough or if you know me in real life then you know I have "issues".  There are many and some are hard to explain.  I put a lot of high expectations on myself and I like things "just so."  Admittedly, I am a perfectionist and I think sometimes that has shown in my kids.  Stay with me here as I explain.  

When it came to seeing Santa.  Everyone was perfectly coiffed and matching.  

2008 Ella is not impressed!  

When my kids were little, they wore what I wanted and they looked adorable.  If I do say so myself!

2009
I mean Nicholas does have a t-shirt here but it's a Christmas t-shirt and we did live in Texas.  Let's be real, Ella is wearing ruffle socks with patent leather Mary Janes, it makes up for the t-shirt.  Ha!

2010
Even if it was PJs, they matched and were festive.  My brain couldn't compute otherwise.  Wearing Teenage Mutant Ninja turtle pajamas on the Polar Express would never be allowed.  Ever!

2011
I look back now and I've probably spent thousands of dollars on matching Christmas outfits and pajamas, but it honestly makes ME happy.  I don't know if I can explain it, it's just how my brain works.  Remember I said... issues.

2012 
Perfectly presented children.  I've spent so much time "worrying" about it.  When Nicholas was little I never even let him wear a shirt with a character on it.  Light up character shoes?  Forget it!  It makes me feel bad really.  I mean does having a Thomas the Train on your shirt make you any less perfect and is perfection what we're even going for?  

2013


So when I got in line today to see Santa, I didn't give it much thought until behind me came a mother and father with their 2 "perfect" children.  They were decked out in their matching plaid, son in a bow tie and daughter with her patent leather purse.  They really did look great.  I looked at Jack and told him to lick his finger and then I used it to wipe dirt off his face.  I felt bad.  I felt like I'd slipped, I was less of a parent... less of the perfect mom I strive to be.  I decided right then to hold my head high in that line full of perfect children with their perfect outfits.  Don't judge me.   

Guess what?  I'm not perfect.  Neither are my kids and I'm finally ok with that.  


There's perfect and there's real.  While I don't think I'll change my perfectionist ways ever, I'm definitely ok with accepting what's real in my life, Stanley Cup Champion shirt and all.


0 comments:

Post a Comment