Monday, August 22, 2016

Banff Vacation: Banff Gondola

For those of you that don't follow me on Instagram (@momswimbikerun) or Facebook, our family vacation this year was to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada.  I would be remiss to not blog about it because it ranks very highly among all the vacations I have taken.  It was amazing.  

After some traveling mishaps (2 cancelled flights and losing ALL our bags) our vacation got off to a great start at the Banff Gondola.  I booked all our excursions in advance through Brewsters.  This particular excursion was riding the Gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain which is on the outskirts of the town of Banff.  

I had imagined this is my mind so many times, (I'd booked the excursions in the spring) but nothing could have prepared me for the views from the top of the mountain.  



We were on the mountain for no longer than 2 minutes and I had to have this picture.  It was so beautiful.  Little did I know there would be more and they'd be FAR better.  



It was an easy trek around Sulphur Mountain.  It's set up for the tourists and things are kept safe.  It may look like Nicholas is on a ledge here.  While there is a cliff behind him there were several layers going down and it he'd have fallen he would have only tumbled a foot or so.... probably less  Ha!



See, Ella and I are sitting on the first ledge.



I was mesmerized by the amazing views.  Everywhere you turned there was a new picture you wanted to take.  I wanted my kids in all of them too.  No they weren't annoyed.  Why would you ask?





 The next pic is probably one of my favorite pictures of the trip.  Some rando dude asked if we wanted a pic together.  I was so thankful he offered.  I always feel like an ass asking people.  Although I do have to say,  I never mind when people ask me.  Anywho, he took this pic and I think it turned out great.


 

I was the photog here! 


I'm not sure how long the hike (not really a hike) was to the top.   Maybe 10 or 15 minutes but the views at the top were the best.


Oh and in case you are wondering.  You can take a series of switchbacks and actually hike up Sulphur Mountain without taking the Gondola.  I believe I read it takes 2 to 3 hours.  So for us it would have been 5.  I'll take the Gondola ride! Ha!



As amazing as this was, the days ahead only got better.  The views in Banff NEVER stop.  


 To be continued....




0 comments:

Post a Comment